Your out-of-state move will affect your divorce agreement

When you were first divorced, you and your ex-spouse may have done well adhering to the terms of your divorce agreement. However, things change in life and it is not uncommon for couples to revisit the decree in light of issues that develop after signing the agreement.

Courts are quite careful in reviewing requests for changes, especially those that affect children, such as your need to move out of Michigan. An attorney experienced with family law can help you with the modification to your original divorce agreement.

Seeing eye to eye

Your former spouse might not be okay with the idea of you preparing to move away from Michigan, which stirs up child custody issues. However, the decision is not a frivolous one. If you and your ex-spouse cannot agree on the changes that need to be made to your divorce decree, your attorney will work with your ex’s legal counsel to iron out the differences.

Demonstrating need

If the two of you, through your lawyers, cannot come to an agreement, a motion will be filed with the court and a hearing will be arranged. Your attorney provides evidence that justifies the need for your proposed move and therefore your request for making changes to the decree. Your ex-spouse’s attorney may argue against the change; however, if your move is based on a legitimate reason such as a job change or health issue, your request will likely be granted. You may need to provide verification from your employer, a physician or some other professional, depending on the reason for the move.

Keeping the relationships intact

A long-distance move will probably be somewhat traumatic for everyone, especially in view of the fact that the divorce itself brought about a period of major upheaval. Nevertheless, you and the other parent must always keep the welfare of your child in mind. Despite changing circumstances, one of your goals is to maintain a positive parent-child relationship as best you can. Your experienced family law attorney can help you achieve this objective.

Call the Experts Today to Discuss Your Situation and Get Answers. (248) 651-4114